Visiting from Outside of Canada

Visitors from any country other than the USA have always needed a passport to enter Canada. Canada Border Services does not require USA citizens to present a passport to enter Canada. However, the WHTI does require that USA citizens have a passport to return home. In this way, passport requirements for Canada and USA borders are different on papers but, are in practice, the same. Canada will not allow a USA citizen into the country who does not have the proper documentation to return home. A passport is a must!

All travelers, including USA citizens, are encouraged to visit the USA Customs and Border Protection’s website at for information on the US Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveler requirements to enter or return to the United States.

For further information on border crossing, please contact:

Canada Border Services Agency
Box 220 Coutts AB, T0K 0N0
Phone: 1.800.461.9999 (within Canada)
Phone: 1.204.983.3500 (outside Canada)

Travelling with Children: Parents, guardians and others crossing the border with children under the age of 18 are advised to ensure that they have the child’s birth certificate and other identification for presentation at the border. If you have legal custody, or if you share custody, have copies of relevant legal court documents such as custody right. For any one parent traveling with their child(ren), carry a letter of permission or authorization for you to have custody when entering Canada. This letter should contain contact telephone numbers for the parent or legal guardian.

USA Citizens: Citizens of the United States are required to provide proof of citizenship upon entry to Canada. You must provide a valid passport or picture I.D. along with either a birth certificate or a voter’s registration card. Permanent residents of the USA should also have their green card. For more information visit

US Ports of Entry

Aden, Alberta – Whitlash, Montana
Year round from 9 am to 5 pm
Carway, Alberta – Piegan, Montana
Year round from 7 am to 11 pm

Chief Mountain, Alberta – Montana

  • May 15 – 31, 9 am to 6 pm
  • June 1 – September 7, 7 am to 10 pm
  • September 7 – 30, 9 am to 6 pm
  • October 1 – May 14, closed

Coutts, Alberta – Sweetgrass, Montana
Year round, 24 hour service

Del Bonita, Alberta/Montana

  • June 1 – September 15, 8 am to 9 pm
  • September 16 – May 31, 9 am to 6 pm

Wild Horse, Alberta/Montana

  • May 15 – September 30, 8 am to 9 pm
  • October 1 – May 14, 8 am to 5 pm